AUSTRALIAN REFUGEE AND MIGRANT CARE SERVICES LTD
To enable people from a refugee background to attain equality of access to health and social services in line with the general population of Australia, in order to achieve health equality, with the best possible health outcomes, so they can integrate into the Australian community, and reach their full potential.
To provide quality health care co-ordination, advocacy, and social support using a strengths-based, client-driven, wraparound model of care, which is tailored to identify and holistically address the needs of each individual/family following the development of a care plan in consultation with the client(s) in order to attain their selected goals.
- To develop and inform a network of health care providers in the provision of quality, culturally-sensitive health care, which encompasses the specific needs and medical conditions related to the refugee experience.
- To provide quality, non-discriminatory, culturally-appropriate, multilingual health education to refugee groups in order to increase their health literacy, and to encourage the engagement of preventative health measures and the use of disease-screening services.
- Compassion and Understanding- We are committed to providing care with compassion, sensitivity, and understanding, together with the humility that acknowledges that cultural differences and language difficulties can often lead to misunderstandings and unintentional offense. When this occurs, we are committed to an attitude of forgiveness and forbearance, while we ask the same of our clients as we journey towards a greater understanding of one another.
- Trustworthiness- We are committed to fairness, honesty, integrity, transparency, and accountability, and to the maintenance of our clients’ dignity, rights, privacy and confidentiality, with the ultimate goal of gaining the vital trust that is required in order for clients to be able to receive the best of care.
- Responsiveness and Innovation- We are committed to the provision of a service which is responsive to the diverse and complex needs of individual clients, health care providers, staff, volunteers, and supporters. We work hard to develop creative ways to overcome the barriers which prevent the achievement of the best possible outcomes. We also encourage feedback from clients, and constantly work to improve our services.
- Collaborative, Client-centred Approach- We are committed to collaborating with other agencies and organisations in order to meet the client’s needs in the most efficient manner possible and eliminate duplication. We are committed to collaborating with and employing members of the communities we seek to serve. We are committed to collaborating with clients in order to determine the pathway required for them to reach their goals and fulfill their responsibilities. We are also committed to ensuring that the client understands the options, problems and processes during our interactions, and to observing duty of care in balance with a person’s right to self-determination.
- Empowerment- We are committed to developing the knowledge, problem-solving skills, coping skills, and self-efficacy of clients, families and the refugee community as a whole and building natural and social supports around families with an emphasis on integration into the general Australian community.
- Efficiency- We are committed to tracking performance against selected indicators of success, maximising efficiency in the use of time and resources through cross-service referral, and the integration of formal and informal caring networks. We are committed to eliminating duplication of services, and preventing the unnecessary escalation of health care needs.